Here are two new toolkits containing useful information, suggestions for things to do and where to get help plus a reminder about Thriving at Work.
1.Physical Activity, Healthy Eating and Healthier Weight: a toolkit for employers
This is the latest toolkit from Business in the Community and Public Health England. It looks at the impact of physical activity, diet and weight on employee health and what employers can do to help. It includes case studies of what different businesses in different sectors have done to help improve the health of their workforces.
- Around a third of adults in England are damaging their health through a lack of physical activity.
- One in four women and one in five men in England are defined as inactive, doing less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each week.
- The cost of an unhealthy workforce to the UK taxpayer has been estimated at over £60 billion per year.
- Employees who are in good health are less likely to need time off work and are likely to be more productive.
You can find and download the toolkit here:
- Go home healthy
This is the Health and Safety Executive’s latest campaign and focuses on occupational health hazards, how to mitigate them and promote positive health and wellbeing at work. Did you know that:
- 12,000 workers die each year of lung disease
- 9 million working days are lost each year to musculoskeletal disorders
- Over 12 million working days were lost last year to stress
You can find it here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gohomehealthy/
3.Thriving at Work – mental health in the workplace
By now, you should have received an invitation to the launch of a new citywide initiative called Thriving at Work. Poor mental health is costing Bristol employers £280 million a year in sickness absence and lost productivity. The purpose of Thriving at Work is to focus on how to promote and maintain positive mental health and wellbeing at work. Places are limited so please book a place as soon as possible, if you would like to attend. Inputs will include the following local businesses, to whom we would like to say thank you in advance:
- Rolls Royce
- Clugston Construction
- Triodos Bank
- Burges Salmon
- Ovo Energy
The launch is taking place 9am-12pm on Tuesday 17 April, City Hall, Bristol. Please get in touch if you have not received your invite and I will send you the information immediately. You are also welcome to pass the information on to any businesses/employers you work with who are likely to be interested.