Future Bright eligibility extended to offer even more people a careers boost
Even more people can benefit from the new Future Bright skills programme to improve their career prospects, after the West of England Mayor Tim Bowles secured changes from Government to widen the eligibility of applications.
The changes ensure Future Bright is now open to any resident in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol or South Gloucestershire who is aged 19 or over, in paid work and claiming benefits to top up their income.
Regional Mayor, Tim Bowles said: “It’s been wonderful to meet people who are already benefiting from Future Bright and hear how it’s providing help and support that’s really flexible and tailored to their specific needs – putting them on the right path to securing a better future for themselves and their families. Therefore, I’m really pleased that we can now open the project out to help even more people to achieve their potential. I urge anyone who wants to improve their job opportunities, boost their income or pick up some new skills to get in touch and join our Future Bright journey.”
Future Bright is run by the West of England Combined Authority working with Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire councils and is helping residents who are in paid work and receiving benefits to top up their income, into secure, more meaningful and better-paid careers. Career progression coaches work with eligible individuals to help them improve their earning potential and income, by providing tailored personal and professional development.
How Future Bright is already making a real difference to people’s lives, boosting their skills and improving their career prospects:
- “The help I have been given has been unbelievable – honest and positive. My coach has given me the courage to push myself. I’m feeling so much more hopeful about my future and can’t thank Future Bright enough.” – Angela Madison, Bath and North East Somerset
- “Future Bright has made me feel more confident that I can achieve whatever I set my mind to do. I have started a new job and I feel encouraged to go ahead and look into further education. I discovered that there’s a whole new world of opportunity out there for me. My advice for other people would be to just do it. You will have nothing to lose and everything to gain. My career progression coach has been wonderful and encouraging me every step of the way, and even though I have started a job I know I can contact her if I have any questions or ideas. It’s like having a cheerleader in your corner willing you on every step of the way.” – Edith Taylor, Bristol
To find out more about Future Bright and how it could help you, visit www.futurebright.org.uk or email your local council:
To be eligible for Future Bright, participants need to be:
- In paid work – including part time, full time, zero hours and self-employed;
- Living in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol or South Gloucestershire;
- Aged 19 and over; and
- Receiving one of more of the following in-work beneﬁts: JSA, ESA, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Housing Beneﬁt or Council Tax Reduction.