While we may not know when lockdown will end, we do know that Bristol’s VCSE organisations are doing their very best to make sure nobody gets left behind during social distancing measures. The city’s community leaders and groups are thinking on their feet and adapting as quickly as possible to new technology for service delivery, fundraising and communication – we’ve spotted virtual support groups, telephone mentoring and befriending, Facebook activities and more.
Please bear in mind that groups of all sizes are still adjusting to the new set-up, with some staff furloughed, volunteer numbers changing, and teams working remotely, so it may take service users and partners a little longer than usual to get things done. Though we’re now working from home, Voscur staff are available to support and develop your organisation now and in the future. We’ve even taken all our training courses online, and made them completely free until Thursday 30 April 2020.
This week’s coronavirus updates
- The government has created a coronavirus webpage for the VCSE sector, with a list of trusted resources, including information for staff and volunteers.
- Please see Voscur’s briefing on the Job Retention Scheme (furlough) for an in-depth look at what this means for your organisation.
- Wesport are helping people #StayInWorkOut with an activity schedule and activity bingo to keep kids mobile at home during the pandemic.
- Our list of funding opportunities and emergency grants is changing all the time, with grant deadlines varying, so do check this page regularly. Voscur can also provide support with emergency grant applications – please call Jenny Wildblood, Development Officer and Funding Lead at Voscur, on 07904 099136, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voscur training is now online and free
Voscur has arranged for training courses to be delivered online, meaning you can continue to learn whilst social distancing and staying at home. If you were booked to attend a course, you will have been emailed with any changes. Our courses are running free of charge until the end of April, to support the VCSE sector during this time.
Jobs and volunteer opportunities
Don’t forget to check our page on volunteering during coronavirus, with advice and resources for volunteer coordinators and anyone looking to volunteer.Are you looking for a new challenge, or do you need to expand your organisation? The jobs pages on our website are viewed over 13,000 times each month, making them a great place to find new people for your team. A selection of the most recent jobs (paid and voluntary) are featured in these weekly bulletins, which go out to over 1,800 contacts who work in or with the voluntary and community sector.
Publish your job advert or event
- All recruitment advertising is currently free of charge. To follow social distancing guidelines, please consider telephone or virtual interviews rather than face-to-face job interviews at this time.
- The events calendar was viewed over 32,000 times in the past year. It’s free to list events – bear in mind any events taking place in the next few weeks will need to be held online only (for example, live-streamed to Zoom, Facebook or Twitch) in the current climate.
- For more about Voscur’s other work, including membership benefits, consultancy, training and advice, please visit our website.
Upcoming Voscur online training
Building a Funding Strategy for Sustainability
Tuesday 28 April, 10am – midday, 2pm – 4pm
Having an effective funding and income strategy is always vital, but especially as we try to navigate through the uncertainties and problems of a pandemic. This course provides a grounding in developing a good basic strategy, and what a resilient strategy must include to meet the challenges of the COVID-19 emergency. Suitable for: Senior staff, Trustees and Directors with responsibility for income-generation and funding strategy.
Being a Good Board Member
Wednesday 29 April, 6pm – 8.30pm
This online course will provide you with basic information and an understanding of what a trustee is, their legal obligations and their role and responsibilities within an organisation.
Suitable for: New and existing board members or trustees.
Thursday 30 April, 10am to 12:30pm
This is a surgery session focusing on giving emergency funding advice to VCSE organisations during COVID-19. This surgery will take place via Zoom and will be run by Voscur’s Development Officer & Funding Lead, Jenny Wildblood. Book a slot today.
Supporting Volunteers in the COVID-19 Crisis
Friday 1 May, 10am – 1pm
This course covers recruitment and induction of volunteers, best practice, and how to support your volunteers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Suitable for: Anyone supporting volunteers during the pandemic, whether you’re a new volunteer group or you are changing your existing services.
More dates for your diaries
- Click herefor more training courses and events for April and May 2020, including our new Telephone Befriending, and Running Online Meetingscourses.
- We will continue to review our course delivery and keep courses online for as long as is necessary to meet government and Public Health England guidance.
- If you feel there’s something missing from the programme, or you’d like to arrange bespoke training for your organisation, get in touch today.