WHAT THE SCHEME IS...
The government has introduced a £2 billion fund to create high quality 6-month work placements for people aged 16-24 who are:
- on Universal Credit, and
- at risk of long-term unemployment
The funding will cover:
- 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week
- National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
Find more information about the Kickstart scheme on GOV.UK.
At the moment we are looking for employers to register to provide work placements. Once this has been done we will open the scheme up to eligible participants and employment support providers. We will update this page with further information soon.
Employers who can take part in the Bristol Kickstart scheme
We’re looking for local employers to create high quality 6-month work placements.
All placements must:
- be new jobs
- not replace existing or planned vacancies
- not cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment
We especially want to hear from employers committed to diversity and inclusion, who can offer placements for young Bristol people facing the greatest risks and challenges. This includes young people in South Bristol and the inner city.
We’re also keen to hear from employers that can convert successful placements into sustainable apprenticeships and jobs.
HOW WE'LL SUPPORT EMPLOYERS
The DWP is supporting Bristol City Council to coordinate and support Kickstart work placements in the Bristol area.
A dedicated team is working with employers to:
- set up and coordinate Kickstart work placements
- connect up a range of specialist local services that young people may need while on placement
We can help employers meet government requirements for the scheme by making sure all young people get support:
- to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- with CV and interview preparations
- with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
Employers who take part in the scheme will get:
- financial contributions to cover the minimum wage, national insurance and pension contributions for 6 months
- up to £1,500 funding to cover costs for set up, support and training
Register your interest
If you’d like to offer placements to young people, and you’d like to take part in the Bristol Kickstart Scheme, register your interest or email