Information from Voscur’s latest e-bulletin:
We’re heading straight into upcoming events with our busy calendar, and the exciting news that all courses and events from July onwards will be hosted on our new learning and events platform, the VCSE Academy.
For now, let’s take a look at what’s coming up – all online, so no need to rush back to the office just yet:
- Creative Conflict Resolution – This course looks at how a positive approach to conflict and strategies for creative resolutions can enable you and your organisation to thrive.
- Making Effective Decisions – You can improve your decision-making in and out of the workplace. We will look at why the discussions you have and the decisions you make really matter – and how to ensure they’re followed through.
- Risky Business – No business comes without risk, but how do you balance innovation with tried and tested methods that your trustees and staff are familiar with? Find out on this popular course for leaders and managers.
- Bristol Impact Fund one-to-one support surgeries – Priority given to organisations that are equalities-led, equalities-serving, in deprived areas, or working with a smaller annual income. Last few sessions remaining on 6 May.
At Voscur we continue to support charities, community groups, voluntary organisations and social enterprises in and around Bristol, so do get in touch if your group needs help.
Read on for updates on news, jobs, training and events…
This week’s news and updates
- Voscur has responded to the controversial Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities report, outlining our own findings and the verdicts of local organisations such as SARI and Black South West Network.
- Sustainable Fashion Week is coming to Bristol (and the whole of the UK) in September. Your organisation or voluntary group can get involved by organising a community event, whether you’re teaching people to mend or customise their clothes, or encouraging second-hand shopping and clothes swaps.
- With local elections taking place this week, find out how the candidates for Mayor of Bristol responded to our list of pledges to support the VCSE sector.
- Solace Women’s Aid has seed funding and grants available from the Empowering Women Fund. Grant-makers are focused on a wide range of funding priorities, so take a look. Applications close at 5pm on Friday 28 May.
- Could your community benefit from a campaign to stop loan sharks? The Stop Loan Sharks Community Fund may be the answer. Collaborative bids are encouraged. Applications close at 12am on Wednesday 30 June.
- Does your youth organisation work in East, Central, North or South Bristol and support young people aged 8-19? Will you partner with other organisations to form a collaboration? The reopened Youth Sector Support Fund, from Quartet Community Foundation, wants to hear from you. Expressions of Interest are due by Friday 7 May; find full details here.
- Community learning grants are available for organisations in Bristol and North Somerset that could teach people aged 19+ who face barriers to access work or education. Applications close at 12pm on Monday 14 May.
- The summer round of unrestricted grants from The Fore is open for applications. Funding is designed to help small organisations support marginalised groups and communities, and make them more sustainable, more efficient, and bigger than before.
- Does your organisation mainly work with young carers? You can apply for a grant from The Triangle Trust. Funding is designed to increase the impact of organisations focused on young carers, or supporting carers of all ages with an existing young carer project.
- For help and advice with your funding applications, please email email@example.com or call 07904 099136.
Jobs and volunteer opportunities
Don’t forget to check our page on volunteering during coronavirus, with advice and resources for volunteer coordinators and anyone looking to volunteer.
Are you looking for a new challenge, or do you need to expand your organisation? The jobs pages on our website are viewed over 13,000 times each month, making them a great place to find new people for your team.
Learning & Skills Programme Manager at Voscur (part-time, 21 hours per week)
We’re looking for someone to lead, manage and develop the training and learning we offer to the local VCSE sector. You’ll help build new courses and programmes on our exciting new platform, the VCSE Academy, and maintain our network of professional Voscur Associates. This is a job for someone who loves to share knowledge, get involved behind the scenes, and watch groups of all sizes thrive.
Events & Training Coordinator at Voscur (full-time, 37 hours per week, maternity cover)
Can you support our training and learning programme at Voscur, using your project management skills and your abilities with people? You’ll be flexible and independent in this role, working with other Voscur staff to organise and promote our courses and events – these include webinars, peer learning sessions, online and offline courses, and conferences.
Upcoming Voscur online training
Tuesday 11 May , 9:00am-12:30pm
When teams are under pressure, such as during the current pandemic, differences of opinion, different approaches and different ways of coping with change and uncertainty – all areas of potentially major or minor conflict – are almost inevitable. Conflict can be creative and help us to develop and adapt to new ways of working, or achieve change to something better. During conflicts we can learn about ourselves as well as other people, find skills and resources that we didn’t realise we had, or develop new ones. This course will help you to identify your approach to conflict, understand how conflicts arise, understand conflict resolution and mediation, practice skills that enable diverse views to be expressed, and apply strategies for resolving conflicts.
Suitable for: Trustees, managers, staff and volunteers
Wednesday 19 May, 10:00am-1pm
We live in an age where information is available at the touch of a button, and we can gather people’s opinions quicker than ever before. However, this can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unable to choose: the media has even highlighted the ‘indecision epidemic’ and the danger of ‘choice paralysis’, but you can’t always put off decision-making indefinitely.
If decision-making is an issue in your organisation or your professional life, this is the course for you. We will help you evaluate your use of time in meetings, identify how to make effective decisions that stick, pinpoint the qualities of an effective decision, and identify the four ways to improve the decision-making process.
Suitable for: Trustees and staff who want to work on decision-making skills.
Thursday 20 May, 09:30am-13:30pm
During change – whether it comes by choice or by being forced to adapt – you can’t avoid a level of risk. Trustees and managers have a duty to make sure an organisation’s resources aren’t put at unnecessary risk; organisations also have a duty to use their resources effectively.
This course is about understanding how to balance risk and innovation to make sure your organisation can adapt to your own new circumstances, and those of your service users, at a complex time for the VCSE sector.
Suitable for: Managers, co-ordinators and trustees who want to develop their skills and understanding in this difficult area.
More dates for your diaries
- Click here for more training courses in the months to come. If a course is fully booked, you can sign up to the waiting list. A range of courses for spring and summer 2021 have been announced recently, including, Theory of Change – Advanced, Introduction to Strategic Planning, Community Planning to Co-production – Involving your community, Equality, diversity and inclusion: Principles into practice and more.
- If you feel there’s something missing from the programme, or you’d like to arrange tailored learning for your organisation, get in touch today. Our expert trainers can tailor training to your organisation and at present when many of us are working remotely it can be a great way to combine professional development with team building.