This information was sent to Ways2Work by another organisation. For more details please use the contact details or links in the post below.
Information from Voscur’s email bulletin from 13 January 2021. Visit Voscur’s website to sign up yourself.
With volunteering still allowed under lockdown (though volunteer work should be home-based unless it cannot be done from home), it’s important to keep your volunteers motivated and valued, and attract new volunteers to cover any gaps.
Our Recruit and Retain Volunteers online course (2 February) helps you find and keep the people who give up their free time and energy for your organisation. Register now, as this basic level course is always popular.
At Voscur we continue to support charities, community groups, voluntary organisations and social enterprises in and around Bristol, so do get in touch if your group needs help.
Read on for updates from the sector, COVID-19 news, and details of jobs, training and events, including online training courses stretching to April 2021.
This week’s news updates
- Bristol’s coronavirus vaccination centre, at Ashton Gate stadium, opened on Monday 11 January. The plan is to vaccinate 10,000 local people per week.
- The Director of Public Health in Bristol, Christina Gray, has urged residents to ‘please be sensible when you take your daily exercise’ during lockdown, reminding us to ‘stay as local as you can in the part of the city where you live, and avoid crowds and busy areas’.
- The Community Access Support Service (CASS) has plenty of resources for mental health support, including videos, booklets, and informal sessions with your local CASS Networker in Bristol.
- Community Matters has published a report warning of the ‘potential crisis’ faced by charities running community spaces, due to the impact of coronavirus. The report, called How Many of Us Had Pandemic in Our Risk Register?, can be accessed online.
- Bristol’s voluntary sector organisations can access free skills-based support from local businesses, with the help of the City Funds Pro Bono service. Contact email@example.com to find out how Bristol’s City Funds Pro Bono Brokerage can connect your organisation with the skills or resources that you need.
- Thrive Bristol is offering more free online training courses in 2021 for people working and volunteering in the community. Courses cover mental health awareness, psychological wellbeing tools, communication skills, self-harm and suicide, and loss and bereavement. Open access courses can be booked here. Alternatively, book closed sessions for your organisation or group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our list of funding opportunities and emergency grants is regularly updated. For help and advice with your applications, please email email@example.com or call 07904 099136.
ACFA is here for free, expert, independent advice in Bristol
Bristol citizens can get advice on debt, benefits, housing (including disrepair, tenant rights, homelessness), employment, discrimination, EUSS, immigration & asylum, financial management, energy bills and more, from ACFA: a network of advice centres in the South West.
ACFA is working with food banks, community hubs, community media and mutual aid groups to ensure the messages reach the people most in need, including those digitally excluded. It is also taking referrals from the Council’s We Are Bristol helpline (0800 694 0184, open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm).
Jobs and volunteer opportunities
Don’t forget to check our page on volunteering during coronavirus, with advice and resources for volunteer coordinators and anyone looking to volunteer.
Are you looking for a new challenge, or do you need to expand your organisation? The jobs pages on our website are viewed over 13,000 times each month, making them a great place to find new people for your team.
Publish your job advert or event
- To follow social distancing guidelines, please consider telephone or virtual interviews rather than face-to-face job interviews at this time.
- The events calendar was viewed over 32,000 times in the past year. It’s free to list events – bear in mind any events taking place in the next few weeks will need to be held online only (for example, live-streamed to Zoom, Facebook or Twitch) in the current climate.
- For more about Voscur’s other work, including membership benefits, consultancy, training and advice, please visit our website.
Upcoming Voscur online training
Tuesday 2 February, 1:30pm – 5:30pm
It’s vital to ensure your organisation has the right volunteers and that they are well supported and stay with you as long as you need them. This course will enable you to identify who are the best people for your volunteer roles, how to get them on board and how to ensure they stay. We will look at developing role descriptions, recruiting effectively, and what your organisation can offer to help volunteer retention.
Suitable for: Anyone who has the responsibility for finding and keeping volunteers in an organisation that is fairly new to developing volunteer management.
Tuesday, 9 February, 9:30am – 4:00pm
In a changing landscape, if you want your organisation to succeed, you must take risks. How do you encourage risk taking while still looking out for the financial security of your organisation? This course looks at how to try to balance these ideas to maintain your organisation and to meet your mission. Overall this course will enable you to understand how to balance risk and innovation to ensure that your organisation can adapt to new circumstances
Suitable for: Managers, co-ordinators and trustees who want to develop their skills and understanding of this difficult area.
Thursday, 25 February, 6:00pm – 8:30pm
This popular course provides basic information and understanding for new trustees or those who want to refresh their understanding, of what a trustee is, their legal obligations and their role and responsibilities within an organisation. We will look at; organisational structures, the strategic role of the board versus the management role, the principles of good governance, and much more.
Suitable for: New and existing board members or trustees; anyone thinking about joining a board; those who work with boards and want a new perspective. (Already attended this course and want the next step? Bookings are open for Being an Even Better Board Member).
More dates for your diaries
- Click here for more training courses in the months to come. If a course is fully booked, you can sign up to the waiting list. A range of courses for spring 2021 have been announced recently, including, Marketing & Campaigns, Introduction to Financial Management for Charities, Being an Even Better Board Member, Basic Bid Writing, Theory of Change, and many more.
- There is still time to book on to our new course, Starting Out, a step by step guide to starting up or developing your idea for social change whether you want to start a charity or social business. Although the course has begun, it runs until 3 February and you can book individual sessions, for example: balancing the books and working with others.
- If you feel there’s something missing from the programme, or you’d like to arrange bespoke training for your organisation, get in touch today. Our expert trainers can tailor training to your organisation and at present when many of us are working remotely it can be a great way to combine professional development with team building.